Thursday, July 30, 2009

the rushing river we were stuck in. it was scary. but we lived.


our lake



Today at camp we went on a hike to the cascades. When we went last session, we got the river and it was unusually high due to the rain so we had to take off our shoes and socks and cross in a shallow place with help from the xtreme staff. The water was burning cold. That may not make any sense, but if you have ever felt water that cold you know it burns. Some of the staff was in the water for a long period of time and I felt bad for them. I only had to walk across and help the kids.

Today while going down the path we came to the river and it was rapid and really high due to the pouring rain all night. Immediately we turned around and decided to take another route. Good plan - I've already had my fill of rushing rivers for my lifetime. (To make a long story short, day off, tubing down a river, turned to rapids, got stuck, almost couldn't get out. very scary. the end.)

We took another path up to the waterfalls and ate lunch. It was beautiful as before.

The hike was another story. It was so humid we could literally see the liquid in the air. I felt so gross. And on top of just feeling icky, certain children were not making the trip pleasant with constant complaining and not obeying. But we made them chug through to the end.

Tonight one of my co counselors and I were letting off steam while putting the kids to bed. We burst out into the chicken dance - a very intense version at that - and danced all over the room while the kids watched from the bathroom with toothbrushes hanging from their mouths and shocked expressions on their faces. Then, the girls requested a lullaby to help them go to sleep. So I sang them a song from I Cantori, Cadul Gu Lo, even tho I forgot some of the words.. they didn't notice haha. Then it was time to sleep.

My kids I have in my bunk (these kids I've been talking about are in a different bunk I'm just helping out in, but I'm with them all day long so I know them well), are arriving on Sunday and I get to go help pick some of them up on Saturday, I think from nyc. Sweet!

In other news, this is prolly the funniest youtube video I've ever seen. No joke. watch it a few times to get everything out of it. some of the things said are just ridiculous haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8

No comments: